Not too long ago, I gave you my recipe for Beef with Vegetables and told you that you could use some of the leftover veggies to make a whole new dish. Well, today’s the day that I show you that dish, and even better – It’s healthy too!
• 2 ready-to-bake 9-inch pie crusts
• 3 tomatoes
• ½ red bell pepper
• ½ green bell pepper
• 1 onion
• 2 hard-boiled eggs
• 4 tablespoons olive oil
• 1 can white albacore tuna (7 oz.)
1. In a saucepan, heat four tablespoons of olive oil over medium heat.
2. Chop the tomatoes, red pepper, green pepper, and onion, and cook for about 30 minutes.* Add salt and a pinch of sugar if desired.
3. Once the vegetables are cooked to a soft texture, add the hard-boiled eggs cut into pieces along with the tuna. Allow the mixture to cook for another ten minutes on low heat.
*The half red pepper and half green pepper are remaining from the peppers used in the Beef with Vegetables recipe from last week.
4. Grease the bottom of a round, 9-inch, oven-safe pie pan, and place the lower-layer piecrust in the pie pan.
5. Pour in the tuna-vegetable mixture, and cover with the top-layer piecrust. Fold in the edges sealing the ingredients inside.
6. With a fork, make a few holes in the top crust. Place the dish in the oven, and bake at 350 degrees for about 30 minutes. When the crust is brown all over, the dish is ready.
*Note: To create a sheen, a beaten egg may be brushed over the top crust before placing in the oven.
Try out this family classic tonight, and just watch how the pie disappears slice by slice. By using tuna instead of a heavier meat, we can put some much-needed nutrients in our bodies, and still have the satisfaction of a great homemade pie.