There is no need for your child to be a couch potato this summer! There are ample opportunities to play volleyball, basketball, cheerleading and more by joining a team sport.
By encouraging your child to try new sports and activities, they just might find a new passion that they can continue into the school year! Get parents in your neighborhood to sign their kids up as well and create an easy carpool group to save time and stress.
According to the American Academy of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry, sports help kids gain physical skills, get exercise, make friends, have fun, learn teamwork, learn to play fair and improve self esteem.
To help your child get the most out of sports make sure that you:
• Provide emotional support and positive feedback
• Attend some games and talk about it afterward
• Set realistic expectations for your child
• Learn about the sport and support your child’s involvement
• Help your child talk with you about their experiences with the coach and other team members
• Help your child handle the disappointment of losing
• Model appropriate spectator behavior
If your child plans on participating in sports, you’ll need to schedule a sports physical. We will make sure your child is healthy before they hit the field. We will identify any warning signs that your child may have in order to prevent injuries and help your child play at their full potential. Don’t wait, appointments are filling up fast and team registration deadlines are approaching!
Visit these resources for Northwest Austin and Round Rock area sports teams and summer camps for your child: