In most cases, you will deliver your baby where your healthcare provider has admitting privileges. At the Pediatric Center of Round Rock, our doctors have admitting privileges at North Austin Medical Center, Round Rock Medical Center and Dell Children’s Hospital. We communicate with the hospitals when our patients are admitted and when a new baby is born into our practice. If a patient is admitted to Dell Children’s Hospital, we are less involved because they have specialists taking care of daily decisions.
Five Things To Consider When Choosing a Hospital
- Is there an anesthesiologist or anesthetist at the hospital around the clock?
- How many women in labor does each nurse typically care for?
- Are lactation consultants available? (A specialist can be invaluable in helping you get off to a good start with breastfeeding.)
- How many support people are allowed to be with me in the labor and birth room?
- Can my partner stay with me in the room? What accommodations do you have for partners?
Of course, you may have more questions based on your unique needs. It is important to ask these questions early in your pregnancy. The childbirth educator at the hospital or your doctor can be a great resource for all of your questions.
Choosing an Obstetrician
There are many Round Rock obstetricians to choose from in the Round Rock area. When choosing an obstetrician, you should consider factors such as your health history, the doctor’s attitude about topics that are important to you such as the use of IVs and the overall feeling you get when you are with the doctor. If you have a condition such as diabetes, high blood pressure or other complications make sure to ask the doctor what experience they have in treating patients like you.
Ask yourself these 5 questions when choosing an obstetrician:
- How comfortable do you feel with the doctor?
- Do you find it easy to ask questions of the doctor?
- Does the doctor explain things clearly and completely?
- Does the doctor seem interested in you personally?
- Does the doctor seem like someone who will respect your wishes?
Whether you are a new parent or looking to grow your existing family, our Healthy Babies Newsletter will help to answer all your questions.